Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Dark Girls

Dark Girls: Preview from Bradinn French on Vimeo.


This choked me up because I see this with my students all the time. Dark-skinned girls, hold your beautiful heads up high. You're goddesses, just like the rest of us.

I asked my own daughter the questions asked of the little girl in the video, but she selected the darkest skinned girl as being the most beautiful and most intelligent because she has quite the fascination and admiration for dark skin, with Tiana as her favorite princess. On our Wii princess game, she had designed her character to have the darkest skin color they had available in the avatar creator. She then chose the one with the skin color closest to her own as being the least intelligent or beautiful. No one is ever happy with their own lot in life, are they?

Source: I Hate Being Black by Jessica LaShawn.

10 comments:

PHSChemGuy said...

The first time I ever heard of this was when I was in college and read The Bluest Eye for one of my classes. It's a tough image to fight when all of society seems to be pushing it.

calencoriel said...

Both of my kids colored themselves in darker colors than what I would have considered their skin to be when they were little. John in particular...he considered himself to be "brown" when he was younger even though we're totally white people in this house.

Interestingly, he just got back from a baseball camp at Florida State where he was consistently asked if he was: eskimo, asian, philipino, or polynesian by the other campers.

Taqo said...

"Colorism", to me, is even worse and sadder than when people from other races discriminate against people who are not of the same race. Self-hate is a horrible thing. :(

humble simpleton said...

Greetings Teacherlady. It's been a time. I stopped commenting, but hey, I'm sure you're gonna love this. Make sure to read the comments.

Essays writing said...

Self-hate is a horrible thing.so be proud what you are.no problem weather you are white or brown.here i want you to see this site it is very helpful.thanks for corporation.
http://www.authorsmania.com/
thanks.

PHSChemGuy said...

Throwing this here in hopes it get autoemailed to you because I'm not opening my school email over break...

http://peapillybean.com.au/2011/12/13/how-to-make-a-dalek-smash-cake/

TeacherLady said...

Genius... I love it...
Yeah, sorry I've not been on here much. I'm fighting to keep my head above water at the moment. But with a Dalek smash cake, life would be perfect...

Sweets Online said...

This is a tough topic to fight when all of society in this day and age seems to be pushing it, unfortunately in the wrong direction.

Brain Blasterz said...

Wow this is very apt. I don't know how I got here from searching sweets online but I did.

The interest does crazy things, and it's nice to come across a beautiful post like this.

Everyone is beautiful.

sweets online said...

Wow. This a great post. I don't understand why we all have to fight these days over things that are so trivial.