Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

I Prefer the Movie.


I have noticed a fundamental flaw in the practices of modern medicine... It appears that an awful lot (not all) of doctors don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not going to say they're all a bunch of navel-gazing fools or anything, it's just that they collect data with the collective effort of a herd of indifferent teenagers. If not a lot is known about a disorder or disease, then when they suspect someone is suffering from said disorder/disease you would THINK that they would want to gather as much information as possible to benefit the entire medical community... Sort of like a wiki-medicine thing. I know they have professional journals and articles, but every single data point would contribute to the research, surely?

So I've been suffering from constant dizziness with bouts of vomit-inducing vertigo (said bouts are few and far between, thankfully) coupled with a sense of "fullness" and occasional tinnitus in my ears for about four months now. My ENT THINKS it's Meniere's disease, which is as useful as telling someone with tummy issues that they have "irritable bowel syndrome". They both fall into the category of "we don't know what the hell it is, we have no way to test for it definitively, so we'll lump it into a nebulous category, with is own name, tell you its incurable, but following this diet, doing this, not doing that, and standing on your head at dawn with a chicken in your underpants MAY alleviate some of the symptoms. And may not." I affectionately refer to these as "bullshit diagnoses". So being told I have an incurable disease which MAY come and go, MAY be constant, MAY result in deafness, MAY be treated with months and months of physical therapy kinda annoyed me. If modern medicine was going to be useless, I decided to go alternative. While there's no way on Earth I could tolerate some hippie woman with long hair waving crystals over my head, I was willing to give chiropractic treatment a go. I could see how it would possibly be scientifically based.

Luckily (?) my dance instructor had identical symptoms and was "cured" by said chiropractor, so I've got my fingers crossed that he'll do the same for me.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the exact same thing a few years ago. Have the doctors had a look at your thyroid yet? It turned out I had an auto-immune disorder affecting my thyroid (Hashimoto's thyroiditis; not "curable" but no big deal, just have to take hormones every morning) and the vertigo went away once I stopped worrying about what I had. (Stress makes the muscles in your shoulders contract and makes the vertigo worse.)

TeacherLady said...

Thank you so much for giving me another avenue to explore. I had never even thought about my thyroid. I don't want to dismiss any possibilities. You didn't have to take the time to type that, so I REALLY appreciate it.