Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Rest In Peace, Lena Horne

Lena Horne has passed away. It's strange to think she's gone. She's drooled over in the old Amos and Andy radio shows I used to listen to, as well as many other radio shows, though it was only because Freeman and Charles were playing African American than they could be free to describe their obsession with her delightful frame. She was in movies, on TV shows, on the jazz CDs in my car, on Sesame Street, and in the pages of history as a woman who paved the way as Hollywood's "first black sex symbol" and she took her place in the righteous March on Washington in 1963. There certainly is no sun up in the sky, but there is another bright shining star.

Stormy Weather


It's Not Easy Bein' Green

3 comments:

calencoriel said...

My first thought when I heard this news was of her singing on Sesame Street...

botheyesshut said...

Lena Horne was hot. I told some customer at the coffee shop I worked at in high school that she looked like her, kindof as a compliment, and the lady chuckled strangely and walked out, saying, "Uh, ha ha, thanks."

Then my boss told me Lena was black. That was the first I'd heard of it. I thought she was just tanned.

-Both

TeacherLady said...

Calencoriel, one of the many reasons Sesame Street rocks is that it immortalized so many people who were actually worthy of attaining that status!

Both, she went through tough experiences on both sides of the race line due to her skin color. She did look like she could have passed as Latino or Hispanic, perhaps... Either way, she was elegant, charming, and sophisticated.

Heh... Makes me think of a white friend who married a black guy. When she's out with their son, she's heard the comment "oh, he's got a lovely tan!" My own kids are weird. One daughter got all my Arab genes and came up olive skinned and dark eyed, and my other daughter got all my white genes and came out peaches and cream and blue-eyed! I love my mismatched babies...