Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Stop All the Clocks...

I designed a little lesson to teach in my students' English class. I had them compare and contrast two poems, one of which is a personal favorite of mine... Twelve Songs: IX, better known as Stop All the Clocks, by W. H. Auden. It's straight forward with very few opportunities for confusion; it's raw and almost adolescent in it's declaration of pain. My goals were to get the kids to use Venn diagrams to compare and contrast that poem and Christina Rossetti's Remember and improve their fluency through repetition. At the end, I had them write what they thought my goals were for the lesson that day and I was quite surprised at how profound some of them could be. One wrote "You wanted us to understand heartache and loss." Another: "You want us to appreciate life and not waste a second of it". At first I was disappointed that some of them hadn't said anything about Venn diagrams or comparing and contrasting, but then I smiled. They had come away with something. It was a good lesson.

Funny. I didn't think I would, but I'm still able to recite Auden's poem completely by heart.

2 comments:

calencoriel said...

That's a great idea - asking the kids to tell you what they thought your goals were - I'm going to steal that if you're okay with that.

TeacherLady said...

I'm truly flattered... Since there aren't really any truly original ideas when it comes to teaching, I can't really claim credit. I'd share more teaching ideas on here if I thought anyone would really be interested. It's not like I'm some sort of education guru, I just love throwing ideas around and hearing other people's input.