Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Obama's Speech to the Students

There. That wasn't so bad, was it? I may not subscribe to Obama's domestic policies, but I think his role as president of this country gives him the right to address our students if he so wishes. I may not agree with the man, but it doesn't mean I don't show him a certain level of respect. I may have been troubled if he had said something during that speech that I felt was out of place, or bearing an ulterior motive, but I would have let my students watch it, if they wished, and let them agree or disagree of their own accord. I don't believe in censoring that kind of material from my students. They're going to believe what their parents believe for the most part, anyway.

Too bad his words of wisdom regarding students taking responsibility for their own successes and futures fell on deaf ears as my one student I had at that time announced: "Man, he boring. How long he gonna talk for? Can I go get a drink of water?" It's also a shame that his speech was timed right when I was working one-on-one with this student who is farthest behind on ALL her subjects AND failed to inspire her on top of that.

I guess he should have had Michael Bay direct his speech and Danny Elfman do the score. Ew. Danny Elfman, NEVER work for Michael Bay. Please. Actually, let's make that a general rule. NO ONE should work for Michael Bay. Maybe then he'll stop making movies.

Anyway, back to the case in point, here's the transcript of the speech if you didn't get to hear it. I had hoped it would have been a little more dynamic to capture the interest of the students who REALLY needed to hear it, but oh well. It was a nice thought.

2 comments:

kinzi said...

With ya. My conservative brethren were howling (mainly because of the uproar the left had over Bush addressing students)but I figure he is the president, I am glad he cares about kids, and it is the minority kids that need to hear this to get a spark of hope and be reminded from where Prz Obama came.

BUT, as cool and hip as he is supposed to be, it is a crime he was SO BORING.

Realm Of Dreams said...

The question is what would Obama have said if there hadn't been an uproar?