Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Still Here. Sort Of.

Taking another online M. Ed. class online. Work started. Pets need feeding. So do I. Really want to get into that hot tub we've got. Talking. In. Short. Shatner. Sentences.

I shall attempt to return with a little more regularity at some point. In the mean time, here's a story to inform my fellow educators of how NOT to handle delicate circumstances involving children... This story is for you, my favorite hot blue-eyed science teacher who I promised I wouldn't do posts like this, but I lied. This story is set in the past, so I'm willing to forgive if such instances STAY in the past and are never repeated again. Ever.

RatherLoudScienceTeacher: (marches into special ed. classroom. A few students are working silently with their special ed. teachers nearby.) Well, I can tell you right now who's going to fail. THAT one, THAT one, and DEFINITELY HER. I know, I know... She was raped an' all, but she's just not making any effort in my class."

Yes. You read that last line correctly. Yes, this teacher did say all this loud enough for all the students and adults in the room to hear. No, it is not based on some sort of "tough love" educational philosophy espoused by Ruby Payne.

I may tease my students, I may make fun of some of the silly things they say, but I LOVE my students. I respect my students' strengths and needs. I may not always understand them, but I sure as hell want to be there for them and do the best I can to help them be successful. I may not always be the best adult for them, and so I honor any adult they can interact with better than they can with me. I so hope this teacher proves to have grown since that incident. I think growth goes a long way towards making up for something like that.

3 comments:

calencoriel said...

Fingers remain crossed that incidents such as that remain in the past...

...and that perhaps a vocal chord or two snap so that the volume is toned down a bit.

We can always hope...

PHSChemGuy said...

Holy crap...

Bdubba said...

YOWSERS!

Each school year brings new hope. <3

Here's to a great year for one and all!