Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

In the Night Kitchen

My daughter adores a rather bizarre little tale- In the Night Kitchen written and illustrated by Maurice Sendak of Where The Wild Things Are fame. It came across to me as a bit of an acid trip, but not all stories have to have glaringly obvious moral lessons (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, anyone?) and I found it rather charming that he dared to include innocent child nudity which freaked out enough people to have it pulled from some library shelves.

Here's an amusing reading of the story performed by Owen from Dad Labs. I shared a lot of his thoughts when I first read the book, except that the bakers didn't look like fat Hitlers to me... I just saw Oliver Hardy. However, I totally felt the same way about the "Cock-a-doodle-do!" bit...

2 comments:

Nicole said...

well, after hearing it read/discussed this way, I can't work out why it was one of my favorite books as a child (but it was...)

ลงประกาศฟรี said...

ลงประกาศฟรี,ลงโฆษณาฟรี,ภาพเคลื่อนไหว,ภาพพื้นหลัง