Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Sunday, February 08, 2009

What Scared You As a Child?



I adore the old Australian film, Dot and the Kangaroo. I practically peed myself in excitement when I found it was available on DVD, along with one of the follow-ups, Dot and the Bunny. I've never seen any of the others, but looking at their reviews on imdb I guess there's no big loss there... Anyway, above is a song, Bunyip Moon, from Dot and the Kangaroo that apparently not only creeped me out but many others too. I think it's healthy for every child to have some lasting memory of a cartoon or kid's movie that had a moment or two of creepiness involved. Every one delights in sharing tales of what scared them as kids... The memories are often recalled with warmth and smiles rather than continued terror and required therapy.

What movie/cartoon scene scared you as a kid? Daleks? The dinosaurs in Land of the Lost? King Kong? Ooh, that wolf thing from Neverending Story! With his bloody jaws and the way he growled "the nottthing..." Or perhaps something unexpected and not particularly scary to most people? I'd love to know!

9 comments:

calencoriel said...

As a child: The scene from Wizard of Oz when the witch sends the monkeys after Dorothy. That witch scared the crap out of me...

As an adult: Gary Oldman from Dracula standing behind Winona Ryder telling her he had crossed "oceans of time" to find her - to this day, I can't hear those words.

Anonymous said...

Monkeys no question.

There was also a robot-tank villain in the Six Million Dollar man that did a number on me - though in retrospect, I can't say why.

Julia S. said...

the oompa-loompas in the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie. They STILL creep me out!

Akinoluna - a female Marine said...

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...that entire movie creeped me out. I refuse to ever watch it again. I even refuse to watch the new Johnny Depp one, just in case.

Bdubba said...

The clown in Poltergeist. Still do not like clowns to this day. I also remember an Alfred Hitchcock that I watched with my Mom where a lady lost her fingers in bets until she only had one finger. Not sure why it freaked me out but I had nightmares for months about that.

Abel Undercity said...

The shark in Jaws. No, my parents weren't about to let me see it. The commercials were sufficient to the task of making me look nervously upon the deep end of the pool at the Y. And then there were the times we went out to the lake.

I lived in Minnesota, about a zillion miles from the barest drop of ocean water. I still looked out for that shark.

Hepius said...

I'm with calencoriel on the Wizard of Oz. However, it wasn't the witch that did me in, it was the flying monkeys.

Even worse were the sleestacks from Land of the Lost. I just Googled them to check on the spelling and the images still give me the heebee jebees.

TeacherLady said...

Oh these are wonderful!
Hepius, we JUST watched an episode of the Land of the Lost last night with the sleestacks! What a coincidence! My daughter wanted to watch "The dinosaur show" so we stuck one on and there they were! I hope we haven't scarred her for life now... :)

Cassandra said...

I have two - one episode of the Facts of Life where the girls turned into zombies for some reason w/an extreme case of AquaNet hairdos. I don't know why - I was young - it was probably the first time I learned zombies existed (so to speak).

The other was a movie (The Blob?) where there was a mass of nasty gooey seaweedy terror that was travelling the ocean devouring attractive young tourists. Again - very young - I only watched parts of it in secret w/my parents in the other room. But it definitely scared me silly and stuck w/me for many years.