Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Phew.

Sorry, chaps. I won’t be posting much for a while due to my taking two college classes on top of my full time job, having an uncomfortable pregnancy, family life, and trying to squeeze in some mandatory “reading for pleasure” time too.

I have to very briefly comment on the awful situation going on in the Gaza Strip. There’s nothing I could say that hasn’t already been said by someone far more erudite and knowledgeable than me, and I certainly don’t have any new insight or solution to offer, so instead I’ll offer my deepest sympathies to anyone, on either side, who has lost a loved one and I’ll offer my pity, regret, and shame to those on either side who caused those deaths. Naively, I had hoped that the region could follow Ireland’s lead in laying down arms when no one thought they would in our lifetime, but we’re looking at two entirely different creatures. The rest of the world wasn’t so invested in either side in Ireland, nor were there manipulative external pressures, egging on the continued combat in Ireland using it as a stage for their vicarious conflict with the supporter of the other side. But anyway…

Now that I've explained my absence, on with the show...

1 comment:

Robert said...

Actually, what happened in the case of Ireland was that the British began to genuinely address their grievances - then the violence stopped.

The same thing will happen in the Middle East once Israel and the US stop committing crimes and begin to redress Palestinian grievances (and there are many).