Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Arab Money?

It seems my countrymen are offended by Busta Rhymes' music video Arab Money...




The fact is that the UAE has helped create that sort of image of mindnumbingly ridiculous over-indulgence that would make Marie-Antoinette look like a coupon clipping Dollar Store junkie... So that aspect didn't offend me. Gambling with Arafat? That might offend some Palestinians, but I wouldn't take that one literally.. Busta's probably playing off of the fact that a lot of people think all Arabs look like the late Arafat, and it was probably the only rhyme he could come up with (with the word 'act'... I don't know how rappers get away with such shitty rhymes, honestly).

I can definitely see how using Islamic verse would really piss off a number of people, and that was just thoughtless on Mr. "Rhymes'" part (though honestly, it sounded so garbled to me, I wasn't even sure what I was hearing).

The only thing that really offended me was his inability to keep up with the beat and possibly the worst choreography I have ever seen outside of a "Twinkle Toes Toddler Tap" performance. I would rather slam my hand in a car door while watching all episodes of "AfterMASH" than have to endure a whole concert of his if he insists on lagging so far behind the beat he may as well be rapping with his fingers plugged in his ears.

What I found most shocking of all was that the UAE actually has it's own rap star: Narcisyst! (Below: His response track Real Arab Money)



My apologies to any others I didn't know about. I'm not exactly hip with the whole hiphop and/or rap scene. He seems like a nice enough chap, but a little contradictory:

"...I never assumed Busta Rhymes was an ignorant man, I assumed he just didn’t really know about us. "

Er. Isn't that ignorance by definition? Ah well, he's trying to be nice. As was Busta, in his own clumsy way.

I think it'll all end very happily with the breaking of bread, the smearing of caviar, and the spending of more money than I could ever dream of having.

4 comments:

x l said...

I'm very offended. I always heard that Busta Rhymes was a Muslim of some sort (meaning, NOI, 5%er, or something) himself. He should know better, if that's the case. But the "Arabic" really sounds more Punjabi to me. Why is DJ Khaled participating in this buffoonery? This all is very ignorant. As a black person, I feel that this video has set us back somehow. Not sure how far back, but that really doesn't matter. I'm thoroughly embarrassed.

Hisham said...

I am offended also, but I don't agree with what the Arab rap came with, it doesn't talk about Arab culture and how Arab people educated them selves.. it's something far a way from that. thanks for the post!

PŕōuđPāŀĩ said...

gross! it makes no sense, it has no rythem, no beat, and is very offensive..

the arab response is even worse :la6em: whats worse aktar is that the producer *danny neville* is a friend of mine!

TeacherLady said...

x l, you needn't be embarrassed. He doesn't represent you anymore than Arab terrorists represent me. Or Arab geniuses for that matter, sadly. I don't believe any single person can be a spokesperson for an entire race, regardless of how admirable or embarrassing they may be. We all have idiots amongst our races, it's what makes us similar!
Hisham, thanks for visting! And too true, I thought that as well. We need a rap song about Al-Jebra :)
Proud, go smack Danny. Now.