Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Hail to the Chief!


Okay, so I didn't vote for Obama, but I believe in respecting whomever is elected president because I'm a good loser, tons of people seem to believe in him- including people I respect- and hey... He's the freaking president. I may not be blind to the faults of those in the upper echelons of politics, but I truly believe in a certain level of respect regardless. Perhaps it's my Arab upbringing, sort of like respecting your elders and all that...
Anyway, my heartfelt congratulations to our new president!

On a sad note, however, I was quite disappointed in the behavior of many students today. I had heard from Hot Asian Babe Teacher that one of her white students was shocked that a "black man" was president. What century is this again?


Most of the students I work with are African-American, so I heard racism from the other side of the fence...

"Sarah Palin is so stupid... That's why they lost. She a stupid white girl, stupid like white girls are..."


Er. Okay.

When I quietly told that student to stop saying that over and over and get his science work started because he was currently failing, he started shouting: "You just mad because McCain lost!" over and over. I said who I voted for had no bearing on his grade in class and that I really just wanted him to get his work done. He then said- and I shit you not- because I'm a dreadfully honest person:

"I ain't doing anything anymore."

"Why's that?"

"Because my boy Obama won and I don't have to do anything anymore. I can drop out."

"So... You think Obama would be proud to hear you say that?"

He fumbled for a bit, then went a little quieter but still refused to do his work.


Another comment I overheard:


"All the white people gonna be mad today!"


Let's ignore the fact that he wouldn't have won without SOME white votes...


And another great one:

"If Obama didn't win, I was gonna bring a gun to school and shoot everyone!"

I turned around to see who said that, but was unsuccessful. I can't stand when I hear things behind my back and can't identify who said it.


Throughout the day, any time a teacher told a student to quit misbehaving, someone would mutter "It's because McCain lost".


Frankly, I think the Republican party has allowed itself to become a bunch of dinosaurs and perhaps it's time for them to move on... Either they get more in touch with more people or they just quit completely. Maybe THEN the libertarians could have a chance! Although their foreign policy smacks a bit of xenophobia, which is unlikely to curry any favor with allies and is impossible to maintain successfully in this global day and age, I have a lot of faith in their beliefs about a smaller government and less legislation butting into our personal lives.


Sigh. Ah well. Maybe in the distant future.
Anyway, I wish our president Barack Obama good luck, what with resentment he will face from racists and now unrealistic expectations from kids who think they'll never have to work anymore because this man who worked his ass off to overcome the odds and climb to the highest, most respected position in the land will wave a magic wand and make it so. Since I don't hold such unrealistic expectations, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised! My glass has to be half full about SOME things, dammit! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Because my boy Obama won and I don't have to do anything anymore. I can drop out."

There is something to that. Obama represents those who don't work productively at a living; he himself has never had a "real" job. He's never made anything, or worked hard to provide a service.

Studying science only makes sense if a student is going to be a scientist or engineer or do something productive, right? But everything is now made and often designed overseas. What's left are jobs that involve flipping burgers, health care, and talking smoothly.

Abel Undercity said...

anonymous, that's a load of crap. Should I take McCain as being the representative of the people who terrorized Obama suporters in western Pennsylvania? Of course not.

And while you seem to revel in embracing your ignorance, studying science makes a whole hell of a lot of sense. Consider the pseudoscientific junk that's bombarding Americans every day (homeopathy, as exemplified by those idiotic HeadOn commercials, for example). A solid grounding in science would mean having the tools to weed out junk claims from true ones.

But hey, keep hatin' on them lazy Democrats, anonymous. The next four years should give you plenty of chances to stew.