Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Getting Close to Losing It.

I'm getting dangerously close to punching one of my students in the throat. His new thing (he's abandoned the bet with the other kid to see who could not do work the longest in class, since the other kid was withdrawn for not being in the district) is to refuse to do the classwork and say he'll get it done for homework, then proceed to be the noisiest little fucker in the whole room and respond to any remark, look, or consequence you give him with even louder remarks, usually involving everyone being racist against the Mexican. We can't send him to the office because our principal is away and will be away for a few days now. When he's put in the hall, he just gets what he wants... Out of doing work.

If I were to sock him, I think I would get a round of applause from humanity, especially his classmates... Even THEY are sick of him.

I wouldn't worry about it if it weren't for the fact that he disrupts the whole class with his behavior, and kids who don't normally act up start following suit because they figure it's a free for all when this clown is around. I can't think of anything that will work. One thing is for sure, I'm letting his teachers know that I'm not putting up with his getting full credit for work that should have been done in class, but is instead done when he can copy off of someone else and hand it in a week later at the earliest... His disability doesn't give him the right to be a dickhead. He's going to see a bunch more zeroes on his report card.

I'm really at a loss. He doesn't even recognize what he's doing is wrong. He'll even insist he wasn't talking when he's the one shouting stupid things on the top of his lungs and he gets irate if you contradict that. If I were to describe what behavior would earn him a reward or a punishment, he'd insist he'd done all the right things and deny any wrong doing, so a contractual behavior plan would be pointless. Teachers, any suggestions?

11 comments:

humble simpleton said...

Com'on José, do you have cojones to be the first to do the classwork?

Qwaider قويدر said...

How about you try to understand why he's doing this. Keep him after class and talk to him.
Maybe this is his way of rebelling against his folks at home. It's reassuring him that he's able to do things. While if he did the same at home he would be beaten or punished or worse

Talk to him. It might just work.

Qwaider قويدر said...

Oh by the way, I'm just suggesting. I don't mean to boss you around or be condescending

PrincessPi said...

I would video tape his behavior in class. Use it as blackmail. He can't deny any wrong doing when you have evidence, and if he really is acting out because of his parents at home, which I don't really believe (no offense, qwaider), threaten to show it to his parents unless he gets his act together. Honestly, in my experience kids act out like this not because they're getting the wrong kind of attention at home, but because they get no attention. Sounds like he needs psychotherapy.

PHSChemGuy said...

I'm going to agree with qwaider. You might also try calling home and perhaps having a conference with his parents.

I'm sure that will fix things right up.

UmmeAaiman said...

I didn't know!!! Congratulations on your pregnancy!! May Allah bless you with every happiness a child can offer a parent!

UmmeAaiman said...

You have been tagged on Tag-O-Mania. Do visit my blog to read my most recent post.

Anonymous said...

my first thought would be to point out to this individual infront of the other classmates that hes making an ass of himself and not impressing any of the ladies in the room and if he wanted to act like tuff guy he'd either shut up and do work or sit there in silence. maybe thats why im not a teacher. the fear of embarrasment may just do it for him, he sounds like he wants TONS of attention

Anonymous said...

Where's he sit in the room? I have a little fucker just like that. His IEP says "EBD: Fucking Crazy." (Okay, maybe not...) I keep having my administrators remove him from the classroom, but that doesn't sound like an option for you.

Put him in the back all by himself... on his own island. Write up every infraction. If you can't find anything to work, target him for the next trip to alternative school. That way at least he'll be out of your hair, and maybe they can do something for him there.

Anonymous said...

I agree with princesspi -Step one video tape him and show it to his parents. If they do nothing show it to the principal when he gets back. In the meantime make him sit in a chair facing the front of the class and let each child take a turn telling him what they think of his disruptive behavior. Be careful to have them stay on topic not get personal or abusive.

TeacherLady said...

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me out with my little problem... We had decided to call home again and he came to school with a different attitude... Again... Frankly, I just appreciate the stress free time while it lasts.
My main frustration is that I'm trying to do the impossible... I'm trying to make him understand how irrational he is being, when he's a teenager! What a dope I am.

PS: Can't film students... We'd have to get parental consent of every kid in the class, and that won't happen. I'd love to, otherwise.

Ummeaaiman, thank you very much! We're very excited!