Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

How Bulimics May Be Created

My husband and I like to sing to our daughter a lot and we often change the lyrics of songs for our own amusement. That used to annoy her until she figured out she could do the same thing and make us all laugh. In singing "The Wheels on the Bus" she added her own verse, sadly based on her powers of observation...

"The mommies on the bus say..." she paused for a moment. "I need to vomit, I need to vomit, I need to vomit..." Only with the way she says it, it sounds more like "bomit" which actually makes it sound cute.

I guess she's seen poor mommy praying to the porcelain god one too many times during the first trimester. I'm just relieved that she never showed any interest in imitating me.



She's already showing a sense of humor that delights me. The other day I took her to the children's museum and we came across a man making balloon animals. She asked for a lion and was very proud of the finished result. While walking to the car, she looked closely at her lion balloon and started to laugh.

"Lion's silly, mommy"
"Why's he silly, baby?" I call her 'baby' more often than her real name. Not sure why. I say it to literally mean an infant, not as a synonym for 'darling' or 'honey'.
"He's making a funny face like this..." She puckered her tiny little mouth as much as she could. I looked at the lion and saw that the artist had made the lion's mouth with a few twists of the balloon, so he did indeed look like he'd just sucked a lemon along with some Sour Patch candy and a dash of vinegar on top.
I laughed with a sincere laugh, and not just a 'let's humor the cute kid' kind of laugh I sometimes do.

There's nothing I can say that would express just how amazing my daughter is to me. I am in awe of her every single day. I'll make the most of it before she turns into a psychotic teenager.

1 comment:

calencoriel said...

You'll like her even better when she's a psychotic teenager. That's the thing I enjoy most about my kids...their developing sense of humor. It's very rewarding to want to be with them as people.