Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Growing Towards "Yo Momma" Joke Proportions and a Bit O' Politics.

Sorry I've not been posting much... My free time is shrinking like a man's confidence in a Speedo on a cold day on the beach. What's worse is my online classes start up again on Monday, so all my typing will be dedicated towards getting one step closer to my masters...

On the plus side, I'm looking a little more pregnant. Yay. I've decided to start telling students and so far my favorite reactions are:

"Oh I just thought you were getting fat." I laughed. And:

"Can I touch it?" At least he asked. But I said no. I only let a student or two touch my belly last time once the baby was big enough to be felt moving, and even then it was only students I had spent all year with and knew very well. This baby is still classed as an embryo, I think, and is under 2 inches long, so all he'd be touching is my ever-growing gut.

I'm excited. We're going to go see Reefer Madness the Musical tomorrow night. I'm still grateful to the anonymous person who suggested I watch the DVD because I think it's great. If they invite people to sing along during Mary Jane/Mary Lane, I'm so doing it. I got a copy of the script, should my theatre group ever grow the balls to do something other than fucking Arsenic and Old Lace for the billionth goddamn time. (I'm sure it's a great show, but I can't even count how many times it's been done... That and The Odd Couple. That one IS a great movie, but my opinion still stands.)

Pushing Daisies is back on the air and although it's a TV show I adore, I get so freaking jealous of the dresses they get to wear... I would SO dress like that, given the money. When I'm not bearing offspring, I've got a great little waist and fairly eye-pleasing cleavage, I could so pull it off... Man, I hope I don't lose all that this time around. I was lucky last time, but who knows... I may give birth to a ten-pounder who will then make an appearance on the Maury show under the title "I Gave Birth to Miniature Sumo Wrestler and Now I Look Like a Tent with One Support Post Missing".

By the way... Does anyone else think it's rude for a complete stranger to ask you who you're voting for? I don't mind friends and family, but the lady working at the indoor play area that I took my daughter to last weekend? I'm always afraid to answer that question because liberals start foaming at the mouth if you don't name their candidate, and conservatives act like you're stupid if you don't name theirs. I'm politically moderate. I'm for gay rights, but against making abortion way too accessible for all. I believe in helping others to help themselves, I don't feel people who earn more than me should be obligated to cover my costs or for other tax payers to pay for my mistakes if I repeat them countless times. I believe in a smaller government, protecting the children, but not reinforcing government dependence (stop handing out fish, teach them HOW to fish, kinda thing...) No kid should ever answer my question of "What do you plan on doing for a career?" with "I'll just do what my momma and my grandma do... Get welfare money and money from baby daddies." I wish I were joking. That was my first year teaching, and I was stunned to say the least. I was accused of being racist by sharing that story on a forum a while back, and I really don't mean to come across that way, I'm just relaying a true event to you all. She dropped out, by the way, and I heard she got pregnant. See the cycle of dependency and limited expectations? It must be stopped.

No candidate represents my interests entirely, of course, but I'm having a hard time picking the one that falls closest. To be honest, I'm still not sure who I'm going to vote for. I'm fearful of being punished for earning too much money and so being taxed out the butt, but I also don't trust McCain as far as I could throw him.

The Libertarian candidate is just weird when it comes to foreign policy (you can take a good thing too far...) so I can't vote for him.

Sigh. My first time I'm allowed to vote and I already feel like I'm choosing the lesser of two evils rather than someone I feel passionately about.

Feel free to try to convince me one way or another, but if you start yelling at me because I don't wet my knickers over your candidate of choice, I'll ignore you. I'll go over their respective websites again and think about it. Or else get sidetracked and start surfing the I Can Has Cheezburger website.

7 comments:

calencoriel said...

At least tell me you had a brief TWSS moment when the kids said, "Can I touch it?"...

as far as who to vote for...

...
...

haven't decided that one yet either...and, sadly I have 5 elections under my belt and have only felt passionately about who I was voting for once - and he lost.

kinzi said...

Boy, do I hear you...I've had some pretty strong reactions over here in Obama-land (Jordan). Anyone voted for anyone but OB is insane and stupid. I would never say that to another human, and just hardens me. I've liked a lot of what OB has said, but!

I vote for those who will appoint in Supreme Court Justices I can get behind. A prez is for four years, Justices interpret the Constitution for life. The guy Obama has pegged for first pick chills my blood.

Hope you are having a lovely pregnancy. :)

Abel Undercity said...

First off, it's utterly rude for someone to ask you who you're voting for. Your vote is nobody's business but your own.

And this may be considered suspect coming from a guy who has a big honkin' Obama button on his blog, but the whole "tax and spend big government Democrat" canard is something the GOP rolls out every election cycle, no matter who the nominee is. It seldom if ever has basis in fact.

Abel Undercity said...

Oh, I forgot to add: Reefer Madness: The Musical? Awesome! Does the production go all out and hark back to the heady days when juvenile delinquents wore suits and ties?

Akinoluna - a female Marine said...

I think it's only okay to ask people you know well who they are voting for, but if you know them well, you probably already know without asking...

The Critic said...

ummm...my wife is a teacher and in a fairly decent paying district and we're not worried about any higher taxes from obama. you must be mega-raking it in there. dag...we should get into your district.

TeacherLady said...

My husband and I have a combined income that would put us in the "gonna be screwed my higher taxes" category, though we don't earn that much really. We pay our bills and live well with the use of a great many of coupons and sales!