Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Roxane Butterfly

I have a new favorite contemporary dancer (and by contemporary, I mean still living and performing, not that she performs in the "contemporary" style... Have I confused you yet?) Her name is Roxane Butterfly and she is a significant driving force behind World Beats.



Roxane Butterfly (it gets better about 40 seconds in or so). She blends hoofing with various ethnic sources of music.



Roxane again. She takes my breath away! I love her humble costumes because she knows she doesn't need to do anything other than showcase her tremendous skill. I love her choice of mellow, jazzy tunes with hints of Mediterranean, Spanish flamenco, and near and Middle East.



She also paritipcated in a "peace tour" with both Israeli and Palestinian performers. How sappy and sweet is that? I love it. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

1 comment:

humble simpleton said...

Aaah this is what makes people humble. Good to know :)