Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Teeth!


I finally got around to watching the movie Teeth. (IMDB link here). It's a concept that could so easily either make a really great movie, or a load of utter shite. Luckily, this one is of the former variety.

While I'm definitely no misandrist, I do believe in justice, but I flinched just as much as any man at the scenes where certain chaps were deprived of their manhoods. Literally. One is reminded of the extreme imagery of Hard Candy with the depiction of the innocent, Little Red Riding Hood figure set against a backdrop of Big Bad Wolves but then gets her revenge by "tackling" her enemy. (Like my pun? Lame, I know.) The biggest difference is that Teeth has laughs to offer. Granted it's not a full out comedy, but given the subject matter you'd expect it to be at least a little silly.

I felt that Mitchell Lichtenstein balanced just the right ratio of comedy to drama to horror. Not too funny, because frankly, it's no laughing matter to think of some poor sod losing his penis to a toothy vagina, but it doesn't take itself so seriously that you're deprived of wonderful lines such as "It's TRUE! Vagina Dentata! Vagina Dentata!" Very much reminiscent of the panicked chaos of monster movies of years gone by, which we are reminded of in moments where the characters are shown watching such movies throughout the film.

2 comments:

PHSChemGuy said...

I saw the preview and knew instantly that I wasn't going to be seeing that one.

I'm fairly careful with where I put Mr Winky, so I don't think I'm in danger, but the concept of vagina dentata - as one of my college profs was prone to mention - isn't anything I wanna focus on.

TeacherLady said...

Haha! "Mr. Winky"... I like it. True, it's not something you'd want to dwell on, and although it was a wince-inducing movie to watch, it was entertaining.