Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Some of My Favourite Dance Routines.



Cab Calloway and the Nicholas Brothers in Stormy Weather, a pair of acrobatic tap dancing brothers.



Gene Kelly in Summer Stock. Not his best movie, but one of my favorite dance sequences of his EVER. Judy Garland was a freaking mess by that point, but he held the whole thing together.



Fred Astaire in Royal Wedding. It's true, they really did revolve the whole set so they could give the illusion of his dancing on the walls and ceiling.




Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor in Singin' in the Rain performing Moses Supposes. I love that entire movie, but I decided to pick this number.



The song Chaiyya Chaiyya from the Bollywood movie Dil Se starring Shahrukh Khan and Manisha Koirala. I want that goddamned sexy outfit.



Leslie Caron from An American In Paris. She was only about 19 or 20 when she made that movie. Phew.



Mein Herr from Cabaret. It's oh so Fosse with every swaying pelvis and twisting wrist. I so had the hots for Joel Grey in this film. Don't ask. I think I have a fetish for cross-dressing men. Anyway, I used to try to do this dance with a chair in my bedroom as a teenager... Until my mum banged on the door to ask what the hell I was doing, dinner was ready.




Cell Block Tango from Chicago. I got aroused the first time I saw this. And scared. At the same time.




Sabra and Neil perform to Sweet Dreams. I don't know which of them was sexier in this piece.

5 comments:

PHSChemGuy said...

I am amazed at the difference in film styles - Chicago (awesome, and certainly erotic number, agreed) is all jump cuts and guick moves...Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire, on the other hand, have two cuts in the eight minutes of their combined numbers...

I'll take the old style most of the time...

though "Chaiyya Chaiyya" is amazing in spite of the cuts...

Realm Of Dreams said...

It is like the difference between a Jackie Chan American film and a Jackie Chan Hong Kong film. In Hong Kong they just lock down the camer and let him do his thing and you can watch his mastery. In america it is all close ups and quick cuts and you can't really enjoy what he is capable of doing... and the can make it look like Owen Wilson or Chris Tucker is capable of the same level of skill.

There are also times on So You Think You Can Dance where you just want them to stop moving the camera so you can just see what the hell the people are doing!

humble simpleton said...

3. Obviously an inspiration for "the Fly"
4. How to break your tongue easy and fast
5. Call me a freak, but I paused and watched repeatedly the scenes with the steam engine :-) Liked the music, especially the drum.
8. You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic. Love their humor.
9. She was.

Saudi Stepford Wife-Daisy said...

While watching "Singing in the Rain" again last year for the first time since adolescence, as a grown woman, it dawned on me:
"Dang, Gene Kelly's hot!!" I exclaimed in front of my husband. He looked at me weird because he'd never heard words like that come out of my mouth before. As a kid, I just didn't realize his hotness, and those dance steps kept him in awesome shape.

I also have a long-standing crush on Peter Lawford:-P
It's ok to crush on old dead guys.

TeacherLady said...

True, it seems they relied more heavily on talent back then that great editing/filming/special effects. It's quite amazing when you think about how multitalented performers were back then too...

Humble, have you seen Dancer in the Dark? There's a dance routine on a moving train in that too. I almost put that in here but the dancing wasn't as good as that of Chaiyya Chaiyya...

Daisy, Gene Kelly was incredibly HOT. That broad chest, that care-free crooked smile, those muscles... Phew. Peter Lawford was hot too... There are plenty of deceased people I find sexy as hell (when they were still alive obviously, I don't have a weird necro- fettish...)