Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

An Assessment of a Stutterer.

As a child and a teenager I never knew anyone with a stutter, so it's a unique experience meeting a student who suffers from the intense type of speech impediment normally reserved for low brow comedy. I can't imagine the frustration the young man must feel since it annoys me when I simply can't think of the right word or it's sitting on the tip of my tongue, let alone being unable to get out a word I already have in mind to say.

Of course being in high school, this poor young man may as well paint an enormous red target on his chest, carry around a neon sign, and pay random people to tease him. When the world of movies makes stuttering ever so funny, it's hard for any of his peers to take him seriously.

One amusing thing is his peers' assessments of the situation.

Peer 1: You watch, he gonna kill everybody in this school.

He's rather mild mannered from what I've seen, so that thought seemed silly enough to make me smile... But you never know...

Peer 2: Naw, he gonna own the Playboy mansion and have loads of girls 'round him!

So it could go either way for our poor stutterer... He could end up going psycho on everyone's ass or he could be a millionaire surrounded by ass.

Either way, "ass" will be involved.

3 comments:

العبيط said...

as a stutterer my self, living in Jordan...

sometimes having some problems delivering the ideas, specially in a public speaking situations... and when sudden questions being asked

it is all about how that stutterer think rather than who he/she is affected by the surroundings...

Regarding the Ass thing, it is all around us, Stutterer or not. it is around us and we have to cope with

TeacherLady said...

I was so hoping someone with real experience would share their thoughts, so thank you very much for commenting. I can't stand how unfair the world can be because people fail to take the time to put themselves in other people's shoes.
So do you find you stutter less if you're able to anticipate what you are going to say? So telling a student ahead of time what he may be required to do may reduce his stuttering, perhaps... It's a shame I never get advance notice of what the lesson will involve so I could prepare him that way...

العبيط said...

well... thank you for posting on such article... we have a lack of such articles for arabic culture...

and it is all about concentrating, when a stutterer focus on what he/she wanna say... rather than what the opposite side will think of me is the key...

also, you have to get the stutterer to have a high dose of self esteem, and really high dose... and to let him/ her capitalize on other things, to over come his/her issues...

email me if you want... for more real time exp...

regards