Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Friday, December 28, 2007

Relive Your Childhood.


One of the narcissistic things about having kids is that you get to relive your selfish childhood memories "through them" (ie. violently shove them aside, seizing the toy and going on to entertain yourself for a good half hour or so before you notice your poor child has gotten wedged between the sofa and the wall and has been calling for you to help them for the past twenty minutes. Okay, not really, but I'm sure that's happened to some poor neglected child somewhere...)

This year, we got my daughter Play Doh. Oh my God, do the memories come flooding back... The smell of it, the way it gets stuck under my finger nails, the way it attaches itself firmly to the shag of the carpet with haunting echoes of my mother's cries of "Bloody hell, not more of the stuff stuck in my beige carpet! Stay on the newspaper, for Christ's sake!"

You'll be delighted to know that this new stuff doesn't seem to stick to carpet fibers as voraciously as the stuff I grew up with. And you'll also be delighted to know that I really don't need therapy despite the fact that I hear my mother's voice all the time despite her being thousands of miles away at the moment. I know my mummy loves me and I intend to inflict the same love on my daughter. Let the cycle continue!

4 comments:

Globalorama said...

make your own play dough!

Equal parts of Flour, Water, and Salt

o sa7tain o 3afieh!!!

Qwaider قويدر said...

I didn't know you had a daughter

I'm sure she's very thankful, wedged between that sofa and the wall :)

'liya said...

Ohhh Play Doh! Love it! Mmm that smell! :D

TeacherLady said...

I've never made my own play dough... I'll be lazy on this one and just buy it.
Yup, I'm the proud mother of a 20 month old snip of a girl! She's fantastic. I don't tend to bring her up much on here for fear of scaring off my readers with "mommy talk".
:) There's ample space between our sofa and the wall. However, if she's anything like her mother, she'll find a narrow space to cram herself into for a game of hide and seek in the future and risk getting trapped!