Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Muslim Saves Jew.

Yep, another fuzzy story to warm the heart... A Jewish man, Walter Adler, got beaten up on a New York subway and the only individual to come to his rescue was Hassan Askari, who happens to be Muslim but is primarily just a decent human being.

I would feel so useless in a situation such as this... I'd hope there was some busker on board with a guitar so I could smash it over someone's head, because I doubt I could handle myself with fists only.

I try to stop fights at work before they get serious, though I seriously doubt most of them would have gotten serious. They were probably relieved I stepped in so it would look like I had stopped something that otherwise would have been bloody, but really would have resulted in one party revealing what a crappy fighter he is. If they REALLY wanted to fight, I doubt my presence would make much of a difference. I'm not at all imposing and my voice doesn't carry well unless acoustics are on my side.

When I was pregnant, I would forget myself and try to break up a festering situation, but what can you do when there's no other adult intervening? If they had really intended on fighting, the fact that a pregnant woman was in proximity wouldn't mean a thing. Heck, when they're not fighting it sometimes doesn't mean a thing. This one idiot was late for a class and pushed me aside at the top of some stairs before galloping down past me. Luckily, my fall was stopped by the wall he kindly shoved me into, which I managed to use grab on to and avoid falling down the stairs. I actually felt guilty when he got into all sorts of trouble with his mother because of that, but then there really has to come a time when we expect a little more from these kids.

3 comments:

brit said...

when a Muslim does a good thing it's primarily because they're a decent person, if they do a bad thing, it's because they're a Muslim?

just asking

TeacherLady said...

Er no, I meant that regardless of his religion, he's just a decent human being. He is one human acting kind towards another. What I didn't want my post to come across as is a statement saying "Wow a Muslim actually did a good thing", and I guess my idea didn't come across well. Sorry it came out wrong...

shlemazl said...

It came out just fine, 100% clear.

"Brit" is not "just asking". He is just being a "pain in the ass".