Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Voice Behind "Mind The Gap"

I've heard of voiceover artist Emma Clarke before. For some strange reason, I have an interest in voiceover artists and love to find out about who it is I've been listening to over and over through cartoons, adverts, public service announcements, etc.
She's been fired by the London Underground due to a misquote. She said she found it "creepy" to use the underground because she hears her own voice warning the passengers over and over to "mind the gap", but they took it to mean that she finds the whole experience of riding on a potential terrorist moving target full of zombie-like commuters, over-burdened tourists, and talentless beggars with guitars they most likely pulled out of your rubbish bin was a bit "creepy". It IS really creepy. Especially when you think about people huddled down there during the War. And the way the train rumbles in the dark before you even see it, and the blast of stale hot air like some sort of dragon in the depths... Now, I love London, and I love the convenience of the Underground, but I'll admit IT IS CREEPY. And that's not even what she apparently meant.
It puts me in mind of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. Fun read, that.

2 comments:

Hani Obaid said...

Odd how she had a full time job with them to begin with. I would have though they'd pay her as a contractor for a single recording session.

TeacherLady said...

Yes, I can't imagine she had a 9 to 5 job, coming in recording a new line, having a coffee break then jumping right back in.
I like the parody recordings she did, brings humor to quite an odd job.