Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Suffer the Students.

A child died as a result of getting slapped by his teacher. Boy am I glad that in all those times I got smacked around by my Arabic teacher that it never got THAT bad. I wish all countries would abandon the idea that smacking kids around in the classroom is a great way to drive a point home. God knows I'm tempted at times, but then reason has the nasty habit of taking over, as well as that whole "I'm the adult, he/she is the irrational bag of hormones and inexperience" philosophy.

5 comments:

humble simpleton said...

GOD! That must have been a horse kick, not a slap!

Hani Obaid said...

In some countries, it is the students who slap aorund the teachers. Food for thought !

TeacherLady said...

It's very rare that a teacher in my building gets hurt by a student, thankfully, but yes it does happen. And Humble, I think it was all in the way the poor lad landed on the floor. I can't imagine the devastation his family must be feeling. Or the teacher, who I doubt intended for the slap to kill the poor child.

Realm Of Dreams said...

My mom is a teacher and one of her little bastard students struck her and destroyed her knee and crippled her for 6 months and she's never been the same since and the school wouldn't even hold the student accountable (he got in no trouble) and my mom refused to take my advice and sue the child's parents.

TeacherLady said...

My colleagues and I often joke about getting hit just hard enough to be able to take off some time and get a nice compensation in the form of cold, hard cash... Hopefully it'll never actually happen, but we do wonder if it would be worth it. Obviously in the case of your mother, it's not worth it, especially if you don't get the cold, hard cash bit...