Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Feeling Down.

A few days ago, a good friend of ours lost his mother, and I made a humble offering of peanut butter pumpkin bread in a meager attempt to warm his soul a little... Yesterday, an ex-student of mine lost his mother too. She used to work in the cafeteria and she won me over when I first taught her son when he was in the 7th grade and again when he was in the 9th grade when I moved over to teach at the high school level.

Now that I think back, she knew it was going to happen. She had that kind of serenity I've only ever seen in someone who knows they're dying or else has lived through such enormous tragedy that they know where life's priorities lie. During meetings with her son present, she'd give him a look and say things that warned of his needing to shape up and be more responsible, because one day she wouldn't be around to keep him in line. I didn't know she meant that to happen so soon and I didn't really think she meant in death.


This Friday, aside from all the bitching, swearing, and laughter, I will raise a glass to mothers and the wonderful people they fill my life with.

I miss my mum.

No comments: