Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Female Circumcision? Not Today, Thank You.

I had no idea female circumcision was this prevalent in Egypt... Let alone doing such a bad job of it that they're killing 12 and 13 year old children with it... I wonder how accurate their statistics are on the number of married women who have undergone this "surgery" because it sounds awfully huge... 97%?? Any Egyptian women reading this care to give their two cents?

4 comments:

humble simpleton said...

Thing is, that these are two cases that made it to the news. The iceberg itself will most likely never be seen.
Once I went across some report of some african doctor about female genital mutilation, with pictures of the result and of problems caused by it. And I tell you that for an European simpleton, who under the term "violence" imagines doctor with syringe, that was sheer horror. Pictures like that are usually related with accidents or wars, but this hell is deliberately made by the parents, on their children. If there were a 'smiley' for 'vomit', I would put three.

'liya said...

I read about that 97% too and was a little confused, 97 DOES sound very huge and if it is so high, how come we didn't know about it before? Yikes...

Anonymous said...

97 might be a slight exaggeration but it's pretty high I might imagine. Off the top of my head I can think of at least 10-15 women I have personally heard of who had one done when they were teens or prepubescents. It's an awful African custom.

TeacherLady said...

My God, even that number is horrendous. It seems that the free will we have been given must always be under lock and key as we're not intelligent enough to control our own behavior.