Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

I've Been Naughty Again.

I have lost some Brownie points in the eyes of the great Flying Spaghetti Monster in the sky this weekend. For our anniversary, my husband and I went to a swanky restaurant in one of the posh parts of town where the clientele all have sweaters tied around their shoulders and poodles on the ends of their leashes... And I ordered foie gras for the first time.


It was fucking amazing. I pity the goose that gave up its liver to me in a (most likely) uncomfortable manner, but it was so worth it. I actually gave out a groan, breaking for a moment from my trying not to draw attention to myself as I had obviously over-dressed given the polo shirts at the table next to us. I don't usually care, but it was a sexy slinky number and I wasn't wearing a bra. I have never gone out without the over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder on before so I was a little subconscious. I have gone out without underwear before, but that's a different story.


The pan-seared foie gras sat atop a walnut bread crust and all around the plate were these little.. Berries... I wish I could remember what they were, but the online menu doesn't even mention this dish. Anyway, they had been soaked in brandy and they were divine... They were sweet, spicy, and I felt a little light headed after just one. I suddenly decided that would be the most decedent way to get drunk... To lie back and eat a bowl full of these little beauties. I stifled the instinct to inadvertently recreate that scene from When Harry Met Sally, but only just.

This was a restaurant I was going to review for a certain colleague of mine, so if that colleague is reading this, it's a two forks up for me. The service was tremendous, the decor good (Red, cavernous, simple), the ambiance good but a tad more noisy than we expected possibly because of the architecture, the food was affordable and creative while still including popular favorites. I didn't try their famous lobster because I didn't know what the market price was and I didn't want to ask. They wrote "Happy Anniversary" in chocolate on the dessert we shared, and then excluded it from the bill.

They've acquired two new friends.

9 comments:

jj's mama said...

Sounds like fun. Happy Anniversary!!

Esmerelda said...

I'd have moaned anyway....

TeacherLady said...

It was noisy enough in there that the one little one that escaped my lips with that first berry I put into my mouth was left unheard by all but my husband. It was spicy, sweet, and alcoholic. Mmmm. I'm no drinker by any means, but I could easily become addicted those berries alone!

humble simpleton said...

Happy Anniversary!
I fancy your fancy codewords, over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder is hilariously lolous. But wait.. could be lemon holder, peach holder, maybe watermelon holder, but no, you have boulder holder. But it is solely for rhyming purposes, in fact you don't have to carry heavy backpack as a counterweight to keep balance, right?
Cranberries were the first to come to my mind, but you were living in Britain, you would know them. Hmm.. mysterious berries :-{)
Maybe I can't read between the lines, but I'm still missing the naughty part. Having a great meal in restaurant is naughty exactly why? Maybe it was at home after that, but who would want to be naughty with full belly?

TeacherLady said...

It was naughty because I ate a rather taboo food... The Animal Rights Activists wouldn't be too happy in my choice of appetizer.

Correct, it wouldn't be accurate to describe my charisma bonus' as "boulders". Small oranges, perhaps.

I like the Cranberries! I sang Zombie with a friend's band once. That was liberating!

Anyway, off to exchange my money and get ready for my flight. Yee.

humble simpleton said...

I meant real berries, not the band.

PHSChemGuy said...

And what was the name of the restaurant?

TeacherLady said...

It's "Red" and then the number of the address... It's on the same row of buildings as Tellers. Mmm..

humble simpleton said...

The answer is '42', if you don't like it, build yourself another computer.
Good.
The answer is '4272'
Gosh, building computers that big over and over again sucks. OK then, I take 4272 as an answer. ;-)