Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Top 5 One-Liners




1) "Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!" - Kenneth Williams (Julius Caesar) Carry On Cleo (1964)
2) "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy." - Terry Jones (Brian's Mum) Life Of Brian (1979)
3) Robert Hays (Ted Striker): "Surely you can't be serious." Leslie Nielsen (Rumack): "I am serious... and don't call me Shirley." - Airplane (1980)
4) "Remember you're fighting for this woman's honour, which is probably more than she ever did." - Groucho Marx (Rufus T Firefly) Duck Soup (1933)
5) "Don't knock masturbation, it's sex with someone I love." - Woody Allen, (Alvy Singer) Annie Hall (1977)


I've seen all but Annie Hall, which is a little disappointing to me. I'd rather think there are a billion amazing one-liners I have yet to hear.


Groucho certainly had some amazing ones... "Last night I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas- I don't know!"


Or Mae West... "Goodness, what diamonds!" "Goodness had nothin' to do with it..." Okay, not a ONE liner because you need the context... She's got a squillion more funny ones too.




I'm sure some real great ones will come to me after I post this.

1 comment:

humble simpleton said...

That calls for me sticking to my ambassador duties. Thing is, as I'm going thru my memory, couldn't find no one-liner. All is so nation, history or context specific.
http://www.meteleskublesku.cz
Here is a gathering of funny quotes from Czech commedies (mostly). There is a list on the left side, if you click on a particular movie, another list appears - the quotes. Of course you will not understand a word, but you are doing it for the pictures. I'm giving at least a few:
"Bored? Buy a racoon." - Uncle Pepin in Postriziny(Cut-offs)

"What are you working on doctor Chekhov?"
"I'm writing 'Two sisters'."
"And isn't it too little, Anton Pavlovich?" - Jara Cimrman in Jara Cimrman, lezici, spici (Jara Cimrman, lying, sleeping)

"Understandably, hands-up." - Joe in Limonadovy Joe (Lemonade Joe)

This one is an inspiration for you:
"What to do with you boy? You didn't please me. Nor I will please you. E" - Old professor in Marecku, podejte mi pero (Marecek, pass me a pen)

"Onto, Belgrade!" Josef Svejk in Dobry vojak Svejk (Good soldier Svejk)