Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Contender For Stupid Comment Of The Year.

Class settled down to watch Of Mice and Men. I'd forgotten how much I used to fancy Gary Sinise, but anyway... Ten minutes into the film...

Social Butterfly: Is he slow?

The class collectively groan and roll their eyes. My eyes go right along with theirs. Social Butterfly looks annoyed.

Social Butterfly: Well, how was I supposed to know? I didn't read it.

TeacherLady: I know. You had it read to you.

The class chuckles. I won that pointless battle.

I'd rather it be read to them and allow them the opportunity to be exposed to beautiful literature rather than what they would do if we dared leave them to read it themselves. Obviously, I wish we could raise the standards and expectations to the point that ninth graders would actually read at least part of the book themselves along with teacher guidance, but eh...

No comments: