Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Unconventional Means.

Within reason, I'll do a lot of weird things to get my kids to learn. Today, a colleague of mine was a witness to such embarrassment.

TeacherLady: Precipice?
Sweet Student: I dunno. Man, how am I going to remember that one?
TeacherLady: It means 'a steep cliff'. Um. Okay. I know this sounds dreadful, but you know how the last syllable sounds like 'piss'? Imagine a guy is peeing over the edge of this steep cliff.

I saw her eyes dart towards the door over my shoulder. I KNEW someone was there, but I had started my point and I was going to finish it! Her eyes looked back at me. The person must have left after hearing me talk about pissing off of cliffs. I had to keep things rolling.

TeacherLady: Precipice?
Sweet Student: A steep cliff!
TeacherLady: I bet someone was just looking at me really weirdly and wondering why I'm talking about urination with a student, right?
Sweet Student: (Nodding). Uhu. Yup.
TeacherLady: Great.

I found out who it was an explained myself. Thankfully he seems to be cool with it, but my cheeks are going to feel hot every time I see him now! Too bad he's in the class right next door!

By the way... She aced her vocabulary quiz.

2 comments:

humble simpleton said...

I recalled today, that you are fond of puppets and animation. You definitely must see this
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299878/
some short clips on youtube, search 'fimfarum'. I don't know whether somebody released it in america, but if you can find it, you will be awarded.
Sorry for the off-topic :-)

Carmen said...

I'll do anything to get my kids remembering things as well. All's good when it comes to teaching...