Disclaimer: Some content is inappropriate for readers under 18 years of age or those offended by swear words, references to sexuality, atheism, and libertarianism.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Islam and Contraception

Quite an interesting paper written by a member of the Muslim Student Association at the University of New Hampshire on the subject of contraception in Islam. It's fun to see people who desperately want to interpret religious texts to suit their wants, and while this one isn't so desperate, there's an underlying current that implies it!
My only complaint is that if you decide part of a religious text is open for interpretation, then all of it may be so. You can't claim bits of it must be literal and bits of it metaphorical because who decides which is which?
Hence my inability to select and follow any single religion. I'd feel like a hypocrite, and you know how everybody hates those!

3 comments:

humble simpleton said...

Shhhh!! Don't you see muslims are developing lower-intermediate thought&reason and must not be distracted?
I follow the simple religion of being a good man. I do, or at least I try to do good. Without any monster to fear, without any heaven to greed for, without pointing my ass towards the sky 5 times a day, just because it is right.

TeacherLady said...

I follow the same philsophy of being as good a person I can possibly be. What really makes me laugh is how people assume that all Athiests and Agnostics must have no moral compass. I make my decisions based on what I feel to be the right thing to do (or what the Great Spaghetti Monster in the Sky tells me to). If I'm feeling a twinge of guilt, I know it's wrong... And I do it anyway! ;)

However, my intention is not to mock those who believe, just examine and debate all perspectives.

I don't have all the answers (unless you're willing to pay, that is, in which case the answer is 42) but I don't presume to always be right either.

'liya said...

Hi teacherlady!

I don't know how I came to your blog but I'm hooked. I've been reading back some posts because they're so interesting - keep it up! BTW what grade do you teach?

I'm a first year teacher :D